CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 10, 2008

Crushcrushcrush or Crashcrashcrash?

When you hear crushcrushcrush you might think of a song by Paramore. But what do you think of when you hear crashcrashcrash??
Yesterday, as I was driving to the bus stop, I tipped over in the blue truck. It is easily the scariest thing that has ever happened to me and something I'll never intentionally repeat.
What is left of the rear-view mirror (as of today that is fixed)

Top and bottom: dents left by the crash (which can be completely removed)

The truck was on top of the bushes in the very middle of the picture.
This is where the drivers' front tire was.
This is where the back tire was.
Who knew that this road would be where I would have my first wreck??

Story Time: Well basically the road was really wash-board-ish and I was going not even 40 MPH around a corner and the tires slipped and went into a skid. I over corrected and then over corrected again and then I pressed on the brake. As I did that and the car made like a U-turn and went off the road, hit some sage brush, and tipped on to its side. No one was hurt, but my mom is a little sore. We got out through the passenger side door and walked about half a mile back to the house. My dad met us outside and asked where the car was... Yikes! Then he asked if I would walk out to the car with him. I nodded and went to change me shoes and gather myself so I would stop crying. As we started walking my dad said stuff like: "well next year we'll have to register you in the demolition derby" and "at least i waited till i was 17 to get in a car accident" mostly just making fun of me and having a good laugh at my expense. When we got there he helped me climb back into the car and grab the keys; which were still in the ignition. While we were doing that mom had call the bishop (who is a mechanic) and he was on his way. Once he got to my crash site he connected his truck and our blue truck and pulled it on to all four tires. After that him and dad took off two of the tires that had popped off the rims from tipping over and being pulled up again. The bishop took us into town and had another mechanic put the tires in a machine that fixed them. He drove us back to my crash site and helped dad put the tires back on. He and his wife went back home while me and dad drove back to our house. Dad and I washed the car so that if any acids leaked, then the paint wouldn't be damaged. The cost to replace "my artwork" (that's what my dad calls it anyway) is about 11 hundred, but that's mostly because its labor intensive. The car just needs its rear-view mirror replaced (which happened today) and the dents banged out and the 2 doors painted.
Through this traumatic experience I've learned a few things:
1. you can find humor in just about anything (just like Elder Wirthlan said in conference)
2. little things like gravel and rocks can influence alot or perhaps..... the little things like not always saying i love you and sometimes being angry or frustrated with someone and not saying your sorry.
3. WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT if my mom hadn't been wearing hers, she might have fallen on me and I could be in bigger trouble than I already am.
4. Sometimes going slow isn't slow enough. You don't have to be everywhere at once. don't try it- its impossible and stupid.
5. As bishops wife said- "you can replace and fix up a car, but losing a child or family member is irreplaceable."
6. God is only a prayer away. Yesterday I forgot to say my morning prayers and got a not-so-nice reminder.



3 comments:

Lucia said...

Brianne! I'm so glad you and mom are ok! And thanks for reminding us what's important in life. I loved the things you learned. I can learn a thing or two from you.

Norris Family said...

It runs in the family!! We should have a contest at Thanksgiving, compare wrecks and see who would when what type of entry, like most expensive to fix, most idiotic, worst wreck and so forth, it would be entertaining. Your dad would win worst date impression ever with his.

Anita said...

Brianne,
Glad you were OK.
Lessons learned from no harm is the best way to learn.
I guess now you know about washboard roads and to REALLY slow down.